BIRTHDAY BOY FRASIER IS A ROYAL PAIN IN THE BACK -- When Frasier injures his back while blowing out his birthday candles, he decides to follow advice that to speed his recuperation, he must confess aloud his submerged anxieties -- but Daphne (Jane Leeves) overhears part of his rambling monologue and mistakenly believes he has fallen madly in love with her. After that, anything he says or does to her is weighted with the promise of passion.
- Kelsey Grammer as Frasier Crane
- Jane Leeves as Daphne Moon
- David Hyde Pierce as Niles Crane
- Peri Gilpin as Roz Doyle
- and John Mahoney as Martin Crane
- Lisa Robinson as Connie
- This is a seminal episode in the series' timeline as Daphne finally learns the truth about Niles' feelings for her.
- This is the second time in the series that Frasier talks to Eddie. He previously did so in season four's Ask Me No Questions while pondering Niles' question if he and Maris were meant to be together.
- In this episode, Frasier's birthday is between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Previously, it has been in March.