GAMES PEOPLE PLAY – After acquiring a valuable chess set, Frasier can't wait to play, but the only opponent available to him is Martin. After reluctantly agreeing to play, Martin easily wins – thus beginning many father-son matches. Meanwhile, Daphne encourages Niles to take his mind off of Maris by adopting a dog. Niles does so, however the dog he chooses is white, skinny, demanding and shows him no affection.
- Kelsey Grammer as Frasier Crane
- Jane Leeves as Daphne Moon
- David Hyde Pierce as Niles Crane
- Peri Gilpin as Roz Doyle
- and John Mahoney as Martin Crane
- Luck Hari as Waitress
- This is one of the very few times the hallway between Martin's bedroom and Frasier's bedroom is seen. Also a rare appearance of the inside of Martin's bedroom.
- Frasier angrily reacting to being defeated by Martin is similar to when he loses to Woody on Cheers.
- When Frasier and Martin prepare to play their final game, Frasier asks who should go first, and Martin replies that the person who lost the last game is supposed to start. However, according to the official rules of chess, the player with the white pieces always goes first. However, he might have been teasing Frasier.