DARK NIGHT OF SOULS – Roz is sad because she can't attend her family reunion in Wisconsin. Frasier feels for her and invites her to join him, Niles and Daphne in celebrating Martin's birthday. But his plans for brightening Roz's spirits dim when the family starts bickering and doesn't stop even as a power outage plunges the party – and Seattle – into darkness.
- Kelsey Grammer as Frasier Crane
- Jane Leeves as Daphne Moon
- David Hyde Pierce as Niles Crane
- Peri Gilpin as Roz Doyle
- and John Mahoney as Martin Crane
- Josh Adell as Curtis
- Shelley Duvall as Caroline
- This is the first season finale to do "Thanks for Calling" during the end credits. This would go on to be used in seasons 3, 4, 6, 9, 10 and 11. The only exceptions are the season 1 finale (which had the waitress again fixing Frasier's coffee), season 7 (which ended with a major cliffhanger of Daphne and Niles fleeing her wedding. In syndication, the credits for the season finale run over a shot of Frasier's empty apartment), and season 5 (which also ended with a cliffhanger but famously presents "Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs" in Spanish and a salsa style while Frasier cleans out his office at the station. This is the only time that the theme has not been sung by Kelsey Grammer.)
- This episode marks Martin's 62nd birthday.
- At one point, Martin comments "it was sure great last year when you forgot my birthday".
- For the first time in the series, it is implied that there is at least one level above Frasier's apartment. In High Crane Drifter, Frasier has problems the rock star Freddie Chainsaw who keeps playing his music too loud despite Frasier's complaints and during season 9, Frasier has a long-running (mutual) feud with Cam Winston.