- ❝ 'Every time I can't make it work with a woman'. What the hell does he know ❞
- —Frasier about Martin
FRASIER'S PAST WOMEN RETURN AS 'CHEERS' ALUMS BEBE NEUWIRTH AND SHELLEY LONG GUEST-STAR WITH JEAN SMART AND RITA WILSON IN HOUR-LONG SEASON PREMIERE -- In the one-hour season premiere, Frasier (Kelsey Grammer) returns with his girlfriend Claire (guest star Patricia Clarkson) from a tropical vacation where he is tormented by his romantic dreams of Lana (Emmy Award-winning guest star Jean Smart) and ponders dumping Claire -- but is then beset by the great loves of his life, including ex-wife Lilith (Emmy winner Bebe Neuwirth, "Cheers") and Diane (Emmy winner Shelley Long, "Cheers"), who freely dispense advice and opinions. Meanwhile, Frasier maneuvers to scout out the terrain surrounding Lana for future romance until he is confronted by an unexpected and handsome competitor (guest star Brian Kerwin) while Roz (Peri Gilpin) is dogged by Lana's frisky teenaged son Kirby (guest star Brian Klugman).
- Kelsey Grammer as Frasier Crane
- Jane Leeves as Daphne Moon
- David Hyde Pierce as Niles Crane
- Peri Gilpin as Roz Doyle
- and John Mahoney as Martin Crane
Special Guest Stars
- Shelley Long as Diane Chambers
- Bebe Neuwirth as Lilith Sternin
- Jean Smart as Lana Gardner
- Patricia Clarkson as Claire French (voice)
- Rita Wilson as Hester Crane
- Brian Kerwin as Bob Gardner
Special Appearances By
- Tushka Bergen as Miranda Rogers
- Lisa Darr as Laura Paris
- Lindsay Frost as Samantha Pierce
- Cynthia LaMontagne as Annie
- Gigi Rice as Regan Shaw
- Claire Stansfield as Kristina Harper
- Shannon Tweed as Honey Snow
- Lisa Waltz as Tricia
- Claire Yarlett as Vicky
- Frasier – Mother! What are you doing here?
- Lilith – You have to ask? You're a Freudian
- The episode is dedicated to Lynn and David Angell, who were both victims of 9/11
- Martin berates Frasier for not being able to make a relationship work
- The cabin Frasier is at is the same one that he and the rest of the family went to in Momma Mia, the season seven premiere. Coincidentally, Frasier had been dating a doppelgänger of his mother in that episode whereas in this one, he is confronted by his actual mother.
- When Frasier is confronted by a vision of every woman he's ever dated, the crowd of women includes the following actresses who have appeared in previous episodes as romantic interests for Frasier - Tushka Bergen, Lisa Darr, Lindsay Frost, Cynthia LaMontagne, Gigi Rice, Claire Stansfield, Shannon Tweed, Lisa Waltz, Virginia Madsen, Amy Brenneman, Teri Hatcher, Sela Ward, Jane Kaczmarek, Mercedes Ruehl, Tea Leoni, Linda Hamilton, Lisa Edelstein and Claire Yarlett.
- Frasier's first wife Nanette is played here by Dina Spybey-Waters. When Nanette was first introduced on Cheers she was played by Emma Thompson. In a future episode of Frasier, she is played by Laurie Metcalf.
- Diane mentions that Hester tried to have her killed, referencing the Cheers episode Diane Meets Mom.
- When Nanette sings "Bangladesh, Dhaka Before The Dawn," Frasier sarcastically comments "The Bangladesh part's coming." Bangladesh gained independence from Pakistan in 1971 and given that Frasier recognized the song, it would appear that he and Nanette met approximately around the same time. This would also appear to be correct based on Frasier's age from the first season (which should now be around 47-48 as of this episode).
Notes and references
- Final appearance of Lana